Wearing a supportive maternity bra or nursing bra during pregnancy has many known benefits. Simplifying breast feeding is the obvious big advantage of a good nursing bra, but there are 2 other main factors to consider
(1) A supportive maternity bra can reduce the stretching of breast tissue in turn reducing the chance of stretch marks and sagging breasts.
(2) Proper breast support with a good, well fitted nursing bra will help elevate back and neck tension, stress, and pain.
Maternity bras and nursing bras are specially designed to support the entire breast, and come in various different shapes, sizes and colours. Some are padded, others unpadded, some wired (normally a soft flexi wire) some of them soft cupped (or wire free). Whichever one you choose make sure it fits properly so you can get the maximum support and comfort from your maternity bra. You can do this by taking your own measurements or by visiting your local lingerie shop or bra shop to have a professional sizing done.
Taking your own bra measurements goes something like this :
1. Wear a non padded bra when you are measuring so you can get the tape right under the bust. Place the tape firmly but not tightly around you until the the tape meets. This is your underbust or back size measurement. Write down that number in inches.
2. Place the tape now over the breasts again firmly but not tight. This is you overbust measurement. Write down that number in inches.
3. Take the small number away from the big number
For example Over the bust measures 43 iches
Under the bust measures -37inches (minus)
Difference is 6 inches
Each inch represents a cup so
1 inch A cup, 2 inches B cup etc.
The example above is a 38(underbust) E
Whats the difference Between Maternity and Nursing Bras ?
The terms “maternity bra” and “nursing bra” are used interchangeably.
A Nursing bra is designed so you can expose the breast easily for nursing. This is usually done by releasing the nursing clip on the nursing bra or by pulling the bra to one side in some cases.
A maternity bra is simply a non wire or soft cup bra (which is always recommended), worn for comfort during pregnancy.
A flexi wire bra can also be worn as the wire in these bras are soft and flexible and,by the way, are great for the bigger bust support.
Most mummies actually mean ‘nursing bras’ when they refer to ‘maternity bras’.
When to Buy a Maternity Bra or Nursing bra ?
Your boobs will change shape and size during pregnancy, notably around the fourth month . A maternity bra, built for comfort and support, is a great initial investment for the first few months. A nursing bra is not an essential buy until the later stages of pregnancy. We would recommended buying your nursing bra at around the 8th month of pregnancy. Purchase your nursing bra before you go into hospital and put it in your hospital bag along with your other hospital essentials.
The right time to buy a maternity bra or nursing bra varies with every pregnancy, and there is no right time for everyone.
Fitting for Nursing Bras and Maternity bras is one of our specialties and is what we are trained in. If you would like contact us here at Cherche La Femme for a fitting call 043-3344004,email email@example.com , you can facebook us a private message https://www.facebook.com/cherche.la.femme.longford/ or call and see us here on Dublin street in Longford. We will be only too delighted to make sure you get your perfect fit!